August 11, 12, 13 – Residency Verification
August 15 – 9:00 – 12:00 – Parent Work Day
August 15 – 5:00 – Community BBQ
August 18 – 1st Day of School
November 26 – 28 – Thanksgiving Holiday
December 22 – January 2 – Holiday Break
February 16 – 20 – February Break
April 13-17 – April Break
May 26 – General Meeting
June 5 – Last day of school
Child Safety Seats - California Law (Effective 01/01/2012):
- Children under the age of 8 must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat.
- Children under the age of 8 who are 4' 9" or taller may be secured by a safety belt in the back seat.
- Children who are 8 years and over shall be properly secured in an appropriate child passenger restraint system or safety belt.
- Passengers who are 16 years of age and over are subject to California's Mandatory Seat Belt law.
- Buckling up is the single most effective thing you can do to protect yourself in a crash.
- Seat belts are the best defense against impaired, aggressive, and distracted drivers.
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO HAVE YOUR CHILD’S CAR SEAT HERE ON DAYS WHEN THEY HAVE A FIELD TRIP.
California Adopts the Common Core Standards
California has adopted new Common Core Standards for the education of your children. All parents should know about the changes the new Standards will bring to the instruction, curriculum, and testing of public school students. Here is a brief introduction to the new Standards we hope will be helpful in understanding those changes.
Stop by the SCRIP Table and Help Raise Money for Our School!
Did you know that you can help raise money for Washington Open Parent Faculty Group (WOPFG) by shopping SCRIP gift cards? Just purchase SCRIP for the items you buy everyday (gas, groceries...) and you'll help raise money for our school. The SCRIP table carries a large inventory of items in stock. There are also many more SCRIP cards available via ShopWithScrip.com. Once you set up your ShopWithScrip account with Presto Pay, you can shop online and even on campus without bringing your checkbook. The SCRIP table is open on Monday and Friday before and after school for purchasing "scrip-to-go" items from our on-hand inventory.
Parent Education Information
The Santa Clara Unified District web site offers useful information about parent education opportunities. Visit the SCUSD's Parent Education web page for parenting classes and training opportunities. Our own Board President, Anna Welsh, who is also SCUSD's Parent Education Web Coordinator, updates the page monthly.