wintry adjective. relating to, happening during or typical of winter.
The wintry weather reminds us of some wonderful things this time of year.
August Authors of the Month
Kindergarten - Second Grade
Leo Lionni (May 5, 1910 – October 11, 1999) was an author and illustrator of children's books. Born in the Netherlands, he moved to Italy and lived there before moving to the United States in 1939. He returned to Italy in 1962 and started writing and illustrating children's books. In 1962 his book Inch by Inch was awarded the Lewis Carroll Shelf Award.
Fourth - Fifth Grade
Christopher Paul Curtis
Christopher Paul Curtis is the award-winning author of The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963, Bud Not Buddy, Mr. Chickee's Funny Money, Mr. Chickee’s Messy Mission, and Bucking the Sarge. His second novel, Bud, Not Buddy, is the first book ever to receive both the Newbery Medal and the Coretta Scott King Author Award. Check out his website ...
- Kindergartens will:
- be exposed to the Author of the month by having one of their weekly library read a louds be from that month's author
- First, Second and Third graders will:
- have a picture book author highlighted
- read aloud stories during library time chosen from that authors collection during that month
- have books available for check out by that author
- Fourth and Fifth grade classes will:
- predominately have a fiction chapter book author highlighted
- 1 or 2 of that author's books will be highlighted during read aloud time
- one of the author's books maybe chosen as a read aloud for the classroom by their teacher
- students can find that author's books in the special section of the library labeled "Author of the Month"